Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Break free as soon as possible, please…


How often do you feel good? In the sense, damn good about things around you… Life presents some awesome goodies in small, smaller and smallest packages. The whole point is, can you find them? It can be anywhere – On the way back home, at work, at school, with your child or even at a grocery store.

Dad once told me that my daughter Akshara has given him lot of happiness. He insisted many times to me that the child means so much to him. His eyes smile every time he speaks about her. My otherwise non-expressive father lets out so much of his hidden expressions when he narrates his experiences with her. She is a goodie for him! A source of happiness, love, smile and a reason to break free…


MAX Showroom: Awesome Clothes

I’m very addicted to attractive and trendy Indian outfits, especially Kurtas and Salwars.  I’m not beating around the bush; I will say that I simply love them. And, if I see a good one, I can’t stop myself from buying. With all my addictions intact as I have never taken any special effort to give it up, I keep visiting all these showrooms that tempt me to buy. One evening, I landed up in the Max Showroom in OMR Road, Chennai. I picked up one, another one and another one of the Kurtas, and then something stopped me. My forever responsible husband’s usual advice on ‘the need to save’ echoed in my mind. “Don’t keep buying all the time, you have so many clothes. And, all your dresses look so similar.” Then I remembered his approach towards me. Save, he says first in a polite tone. Then the second time, the same word – SAVE, with little more stress. Then looks deeper into my eyes with almost a given up attitude and a tiring voice – SAVE, it’s good for you.

I tried to stop these trails of thoughts and moved to the other section of the showroom. An old aunty walked towards me and stood in the same counter as mine. She pulled out a few kurtas and instantly kept them back. “So expensive,” she said. “We got stuff for much cheaper price, when we were young,” she murmured. Looking at her, I thought of my mother. Whenever mom thought that I was over spending, she used to tell me – “We got two daughters married off without any difficulty because we saved. If I was spending like you, your dad would have sent me back to my mother’s house. Don’t you have control?” My mother’s words hit me hard. I silently kept the kurtas back in its respective hangers and left the shop. As I walked down the staircase, like a sad little child, I kept telling myself save, save and save when I was jumping off the shop’s stairs.

I quickly took a share-auto to go home.

For those who don’t know Share Autos: It’s a sad looking vehicle, slightly larger than an auto with cramped seats in it. You pay as minimum as 10 RS (INR) for short distance travel. Adjusting myself in those seats, I happened to look at the girl seated next to me. She looked pretty with her big eyes. I loved the phone she had - a big smart one with glitters struck all over it. Trendy, I thought. Suddenly, in a flash, I saw her kurta. Awesome it was and the same one that I had seen in MAX. It looked nice on her. So it means it will look NICER on me. I’m extremely over confident sometimes! Now, I was jealous. Super jealous for a few minutes... So what did I do?

I got down in the next nearest stop, walked back to Max and picked up the very same Kurta that the girl in the auto was wearing. On my way, I so bravely fought all those thoughts of my husband, mom and the elderly woman in the shop. The moment I picked up the kurta, a satisfied look crossed my face and I walked away smiling to glory. I convinced myself that I had improved on the saving element, as I had bought only one and not the other clothes that I initially picked up.

When I narrated this incident to my friend, she burst out laughing and said I was mad.

All women are jealous, aren’t they? Or is it just me. But shopping without any guilt is a superb goodie.


A chocolate for a gift

I have known this friend of mine for some 4 years now. We have shared excellent rapport over the years and I always enjoy his company. I have heard many a times from a lot of Faisal’s other friends that he is really good in maintaining that special rapport with people. Once he came up to me to offer one such goodie that I would remember for a while. It was a simple gesture but unique in its own way. 

He said: Anju, as you know I had visited Australia a month ago (He generally speaks with a professional touch to his tone, even during tea. He can’t give it up, I’m sure.)

 I intervened: Yes, Faisal I know. I met you after your trip.

 He replied: Yes, you met me. But when I came over twice to your work station to offer you the Australian chocolates, you weren’t there. They are all over now.

 Then, he pointed to the automatic snacks machine at our pantry and said: I’m sorry I missed to give you the Aussie candies. But, you can pick up anything from here - any good chocolate of your choice. Because, I really wanted to give you some.”

I smiled at him and said: “Thanks a ton, Faisal. You will travel again. And I will definitely take it from you after your next trip. Chill! ”

How much time does it take for us to remember someone and genuinely think about sharing? It definitely doesn’t take a lot of time. Simple gestures and some kind words take less than a minute, but help in expressing real warm thoughts.  


No comments:

Post a Comment